Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Operation Manyatha

I always say - "People should have at-least one craze for keeping themselves alive, not as in breathing-air-alive but something like happy-contented-motivated-energetic-alive" :)

Okay, here I go. On evening of this good Friday, I had this crazy idea to commute daily by cycling to office which is at Manyatha embassy tech park and that's the reason why I choose this deluxe title of the post!

To test the feasibility of the above and start this Operation as a successful one, I took the test ride starting from home straight to the office on Saturday evening at 4:00 pm. The cycle was in good shape even after my 80+ kms of pedal-a-thlon :P, a few months back. Inflating of the tires was all that the "food" that it needed this time.

Ears plugged with the I-pod touch speakers which was buzzing the top 25 songs played on it, I traveled in the hot sun which was shining so mercilessly even after mid-noon! As my heart raced (but below the limits :P) It pumped more blood to my brain and amplified my thoughts after a few kms of cycling! I looked back and asked myself..The very 1st question on your mind too by now ;)

What am I going to achieve by commuting on a Saturday evening, just to the gates of office and coming back for about 15 kms of round trip travel without a drop of water with me?

I don't know the reason - What! Why!, But I enjoyed giving a mocking smile at the petrol bunks in my OWN cycle(The first thing I bought from my salary!) where I usually get my bro's bike or my dad's car refueled.

I spread the awareness to use fuel free alternatives and it was like a solo-campaign to save the world from air pollution and depleting natural resources :'( Hope everyone implements it sooner before the D-day arrives.
Having said about pollution, I regret to say that I have found so many plastic bottles, covers and sachets thrown all around the beautiful mountain terrains while trekking.
I learnt from one of our guides during Kerala trip, a few years back, who himself picked up all plastic to put it in nearby dustbin while trekking. No doubt about the literacy rate there.
This reminds me of the quote - "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

Coming back to the cycling, I took the service roads to escape the yamadhooth-like Leyland trucks and for safer journey. They was lot of rush and parking problem that people were facing near Lumbini gardens at Nagawara as it is a new place for holiday outing within the city limits. Dodging all the traffic I came to my office and It is more farther than I expected. Total round trip to-n-fro home costed about 15 kms of pedaling. It took a total of 45 mins and I was back at home by 4:45pm. It was pretty fast indeed!

I will make it a exercise/habit to take this seriously and continue my good deed :D Hope I will keep myself fit till next weekend to say whether "Operation Manyatha" was a success or failure ;)

Cheers,
Karthik Bharadwaj H

No comments: